Sunday, January 27, 2008

Life without Oz

I'm a bad blogger, bad, bad blogger. I have no excuses as to why I have not blogged for so long. I shall try and make up for it now. Rather than boring you by just how much I enjoyed travelling and living with Oz before he headed back home to Australia (it was wonderful), I'll give you some more recent news.

I have moved into my new place and after an initial concern about my new room mate I'm now feeling a lot happier, although she has some strange habits, ones that I had never come across before, but are apparently quite common in the US. She is apparently unable to go to sleep (at least when sober) without the TV on, although she now out of courtesy to me she watches something on her laptop as she nods off. As I write this she is gently snoring next to me, having fallen asleep whilst watching American Dad (can't say I blame her!). The TV in our room is constantly on, my room mate seems to spend her days either sleeping (which she is very adept at!) or watching TV, at night she is the typical IV party girl, regularly getting in at 5am!

I am however not in the mood for partying, lots of my friends were only here for a term and so have now left, and of course Oz has to, so I'm a little bit depressed. The first few days after Oz left I walked around in daze, but have been doing a lot better since, although I'm still not quite my usual self.

Yesterday I went on an excursion club hike up to the highest peak in the Santa Barbara mountains, something that Oz and I both wanted to, but were unable due to the lack of a car. I had a great time, the hike wasn't too long (10 miles max), but it was very steep in places and a lot of it was on rocks, which really hurts the feet. It was well worth it however, the view from the top was spectacular. In the one direction there was Santa Barbara and the Pacific, in the other there was the Santa Ynez mountains that were snow covered in the distance. Added to that there was a wonderful rainbow framing the mountains. Despite all this beauty and making new friends I just wanted to either have Oz with me or be alone.

Yesterday Oz cycled 130kms to a dinosaur dig with a big trailer on main roads and I haven't heard from since, I'm assuming he's alive, but I would really prefer to know for certain. This is just making me miss him more, I've spent the whole of the day unable to concentrate on things, why can't he damn well send me a text? But I'm not going to call him because I don't won't to get in the way of his fun and become a demanding girlfriend. Bloody difficult work being in a long distance relationship. Sorry, but needed to get that out, I'll try and avoid that in the future.

On a rather more British subject the weather has been appalling lately, its been raining for days, and not just showering either, its been full blown torrents. And Santa Barbara isn't exactly set up for rain, the drains are few and far between, resulting in floods or streams. At one point it was actually impossible to get into the library without walking through a flood. I must say it makes me feel more at home, I'm unused to the usual amount of sunlight IV receives. And I get to wear my really cool mac!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is nothing uniquely american about untidy and ungrateful students: it is a worldwide phenomenon as far as I can make out.