Sunday, September 02, 2007

Religious Studies geek

I have to admit that whenever I do anywhere at the moment I'm centering it around religion and loving it, my being alone has allowed my true geek to emerge and I get to explore my interests with fear of boring anyone. I saw some amazing stuff on a walking tour I took yesterday.

My tour started in Union Square where there was a Christian band playing, preaching to the crowds. Every other song was secular and there were mini sermons in between. I can't imagine seeing that in the UK, let alone them being met with polite applause, people would either ignore them or hurl abuse, very few would pay any attention.

I then walked through Chinatown trying to buy birthday presents for some people as I went. The weight issue is really annoying, I keep finding things they'd love but that are really heavy. Anyway I was in one such store when I cam across a Magic 8-ball (the things you ask a question to, shake it up and they answer you) in the shape of both Buddha and Jesus! It probably wasn't serious, but i loved it anyway. Unfortunately they were slightly to expensive and really heavy, otherwise I'd have brought the Buddha one for Rhiannon immediately (on the understanding that I could benefit from his wisdom occasionally). Next to Buddha and Jesus was a toy action figure of Jesus that came complete with glow in the dark hands, 5 loaves and 2 fish (although, alas no 5000 to feed) and a jug of water/wine. That was very tempting to buy, he is so light, although I'm not sure he's worth the $10. This decision may well be reversed. I took photos of them, expect them to be added soon (provided I can work out how...).

Next I came to a square where instead of the old men gambling that my guidebook had told me to expect I came across a well organised protest against the Communist party. Apparently the Party are torturing people who practice Falun Gong, a secular practice that involves Tai chi style exercises, compassion, truthfulness and generally being nice. They remove their organs to sell whilst they are still alive and then cremate their bodies. Its horrific and I hadn't heard a single thing about it, despite being relatively good with current affairs. There were speeches in what I assume to be Chinese Mandarin going on and I was pretty much the only white person there. Then a protester came up to me and explained everything a bit better, I was being very supportive of their cause and he asked me if I could be interviewed on Chinese TV, I was a bit taken a back but agreed. They asked me how I'd come across it, what my feelings about it were and whether I thougth the West should get involved (only if the Falun Gong practitioners want our help, we shouldn't go sticking our nose in where it's not wanted, let the people try and sort themselves out first, we don't want a repeat of Iraq). Looks like my chances of getting a Chinese visa just decreased significantly...

I then found myself back near the Scientologists, so brought back my personality test for them to have a look at. According to them I am relatively irresponsible, emotionally withdrawn, aggressive and critical (read bitch), although I'm also fairly happy, active and some other nice traits to. They told me that they can help me fix these nasty traits, all I needed to do was buy their books and follow their teachings. It strikes me that they are a glorified self-help bookstore, they think everyone wants to be fixed and want to make a lot of money out of them whilst they do it. The place was obviously rolling in money, it was so posh and they represented a beautiful, polished veneer - become a Scientologist and you too can be this successful/rich/happy/beautiful/perfect (delete as appropriate). In my mind its everyone's faults and foibles that make them unique and whilst I accept that they were fairly accurate about me I won't accept that it makes them necessarily bad qualities. We're taught to be critically minded at University, to take nothing for granted. I would not call myself irresponsible at all, in fact I'm one of the most responsible people of my age group. Aggressive, yes, but that comes with standing up for your rights and opinions, as long as you're open to other people's views it needn't be a problem. The interview with the guy who did my test was exceptionally personal, "if you could change one thing about yourself what would it be?". "Have you ever done anything you know is wrong?" etc. But I found myself opening up to him (so perhaps I'm not emotionally withdrawn after all). Safe to say that I like myself the way I am and won't be joining the Scientoloists in the foreseeable future.

I stopped off in a few churches and Cathedrals along my walk and was most unimpressed at them, the Americans really need to take a few lessons on Cathedral building from the Europeans. Old Mary's was dark and small, not the glorious large open spaces and beautiful stain glass and artwork that I have come to expect. Although the gift shops were better.

My walk finished at Coit Tower, which is something like 500 ft above sea level and is supposed to afford great views over the city. I was most disappointed, there are only small windows allowing you to see out and there is glass covering them that is dirty, preventing the true colours from coming through. St Mary's tower in Oxford is so much nicer, relaxing with views unimpeded by glass.

Today San Francisco is celebrating the 40th anniversary of the summer of love with a big festival in a park, I'm going along and hope to see some really interesting New Religious Movements (cults) and hippy culture. We'll see.

No comments: